SEBD. Social Emotional & Behavioural Difficulties
The Blackford Centre
SEBD. Social Emotional Behavioural Difficulties Course Syllabus
Here's an outline of what you will learn.
Module 1 - Defining SEBD
What is SEBD? - What are examples of SEBD? - What are the different sorts of?
- Social difficulties
- Educational difficulties
- Behavioural difficulties
Module 2 - Identifying SEBD Behaviours
What SEBD behaviours are displayed in school and at home?
- Being bullied
- Attention seeking
- Poor educational attainment
- Low self worth
- Age-inappropriate sexualisation
Module 3 - Psychology Of SEBD
How does SEBD relate to childhood and adolescent psychology? - Why do children do what they do? - What are the theories of behaviour?
- Attachment theory
- Significant others
- Role modelling
- Cognitive development
- Emotional development
- Self image/self esteem
- Needs theory (Maslow)
- Effects of deprivation
- Abuse: physical, sexual and emotional trauma.
Module 4 - Causes Of SEBD
What are the causes of SEBD?
- Dysfunctional families
- Lack of effective role-models
- Substance abuse
- Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
- Other learning difficulties
- Speech and language difficulties
- None of the above
Module 5 - Assessing & Diagnosing SEBD
How to identify children with SEBD? - How to assess them objectively, and grade their difficulties?
- The Butler Self-Image Profiles (SIP)
- The Boxall Profile
- The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)
- The Child Behaviour Checklist (CBCL)
Module 6 - Working With SEBD
How are schools affected by SEBD? - How can schools respond to SEBD? - What strategies are there for SEBD?
- Maximising classroom learning and reducing exclusions
- Positive behaviour management
- Helpful models of treatment/intervention
- Effective child care
- What interventions and approaches can you use?
- How to create positive change?
- How to improve behaviour and classroom achievement?
- What tools and methods can be used?
- Classroom layout and design
- Teaching skills, differentiation, behaviour management
- Developing coping skills
- Engaging the family
- Drug therapy
Module 7 - Ethical, Legal & Organisational Issues
- What are the issues surrounding equal opportunities and SEBD?
- What are the issues surrounding confidentiality and identification of children?
- What agencies are typically involved with SEBD?
- How is theory applied when working with children, families, colleagues and other agencies?
- What is the role of "Child Protection Officers" (CPOs) in schools and local authorities?
- What are the responsibilities of CPOs? - What are recent legislation and guidance frameworks for education and child-welfare?
- Every Child Matters (ECM)
- Removing Barriers to Achievement
- 0-25 Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice
- Getting it Right for Every Child GIRFEC)
- Additional Support for Learning Act
- What differences of approach are there in countries such as UK, USA, South Africa?
an advisor on