Professional Copywriting Courses
Blackford Centre for Copywriting
More about the Diploma in Copywriting Course
The course is carefully designed to show you how to become a professional copywriter. It's structured to give you the right information when you need it. There is comprehensive documentation and specialist support material.
Your assignments will be marked by one of our experienced tutors. It means your work is checked in a friendly and confidential atmosphere before being exposed to the outside world. And you can do the course by e-mail.
The 'Diploma in Copywriting' course is a complete learning package. It is crammed full of information, tips and exercises. Everything is beautifully packaged to provide you with your own permanent reference library which you can consult long after completing the course.
Constructed by copywriting experts, the course distills years of experience, covering every kind of market and all types of publicity. And it incorporates the most common questions and comments made by our students. By taking this course, your success as a copywriter is almost certain.
The course is personal to you
Your course is fully personalised. We carefully mark your assignments, and show you how to improve. We provide advice that you can't get anywhere else, and we give you the encouragement that you need to succeed.
The courses are based on the real world. By the end of the course, you'll have met all the main problems that a copywriter encounters. So you won't have any surprises when you face a client.
We even have a post-course service to help you get your copy right, and solve the problems you encounter. By getting a rapid response from us, you avoid the danger of errors in those all-important early assignments.
You also have two advantages over copywriters who have learnt ‘on the job’. They have rarely been taught the craft in a systematic way (so they’re less professional); and they rarely know the full extent of copywriting (such as how to create brand names).
You get exclusive information
The course gives you an invaluable insight into the copywriting world. You can't find these trade secrets disclosed anywhere else. The course is distilled from actual experience, to give you the answers to questions like:
- What sort of organisations need copywriting?
- What should I write: press releases, direct mail, or press ads?
- Where do I find customers?
- How do I learn about the client's product?
- How much do I charge?
- What paperwork do I need?
- How do I write a radio commercial?
There's a students' virtual common room
When you enrol on the course, you'll get access to our students virtual Common Room.
Here you'll find advice, useful articles about copywriting, and the current versions of the course materials (we regularly update the course materials). You'll also be able to seek advice from a course advisor.
About our students' success
One student was asked to produce two short paragraphs on twelve different kitchen and bathroom ranges. He received £55 (US $90) per range, thus earning £660 (US $1,077) in just one evening.
Another course member now provides a monthly press release service for a local firm of lawyers. Every month she receives £750 (US $1,224) for work that takes her less than two days.
These are typical of the amazing rewards our students get from copywriting.
Click here to read more comments from students.
Just look at the course benefits
- Unlike other organisations, we provide complete coverage of the subject, covering all types of copywriting. Plus, we provide a full service back up.
- There are 11 assignments for you to complete, and you get a free copywriter's manual, available nowhere else.
- You’ll have unlimited e-mail access to your tutor, who will give you free advice and suggestions on anything to do with copywriting, including your own work.
- You can contact our course advisors at the Blackford Centre by phone or by e-mail.
- You can also contact other students, using our student database, to which you can add your details.
- You get to work on real-world assignments from real clients, which will add material to your portfolio.
- Because most people are busy these days, you can take as long as you want to complete the course.
- And if you aren't delighted with the course we offer a 60-day no-quibble refund.
About your tutor
The Blackford Centre’s tutors are full-time copywriters, who bring their on-the-job experience to the course. You'll get advice directly from active practitioners - not armchair theorists.
They've worked for big advertising agencies, on global accounts and smaller regional ones.
They've also worked directly for big-name clients, and for smaller ad agencies in smaller towns and cities - so they understand the needs of low-budget clients.
That means you'll get someone who really knows how to help you.
How long does the course take?
You can complete the course in around nine months, depending on your other commitments. Some students do it faster, while others take longer. That's one advantage of distance learning. You can learn at your own speed, not at your teacher's.
And there's no time limit on the course. So if you need to be away for six months, you can do so without worrying.
Could you become a copywriter? Take our free assessment now. Click here.
Students who satisfactorily complete the course are awarded the Diploma in Copywriting. They also receive the Blackford Centre's Diploma certificate.
When you complete the course
Once you complete the course, you’ll receive your Diploma, which is a recognition of your skills and knowledge.
We also send information about your success to your local newspapers. That’s a good way of telling potential clients about your availability.
We’ll also put your name on our list of Approved Copywriters. And you can get free logos (like the one on the left) to put on your website and your letterhead.
Who enrols on the course?
All kinds of people decide to become copywriters. But typically they are:
- Writers seeking to put their writing skills to good use. They know that copywriting will always be in demand: a computer can't write advertisements and press releases.
- People in advertising agencies, PR consultancies and client companies who want to know more about the subject. They include copywriters, secretaries, and even accountants.
- People who want to supplement their income by working from home. Many need to fit their work around other commitments.
What you'll learn from the course
By the end of the course, you'll have acquired the following skills:
- You'll have learnt the skills of the copywriter's art.
- You'll know how to create copy for all types of publicity.
- You'll know how to win business for yourself.
What happens when you finish the course?
Even when the course ends, we can still continue to help you. On completing your final assignment, we'll give you details of how you can get advice and guidance from the Blackford Centre. When you go to see a client, or you have a query, we'll be no further than your phone or email.
The right course for you?
This is the only worthwhile home-study copywriting course in the world. Let's look at two other courses you could buy.
Competitor A. Competitor A has the best-known course on the market. But it gives you only two tutor-marked assignments. Not many people realise that (whereas we provide 11 assignments).The market leader's course is a sales letter course in disguise. If you want to learn only about direct mail, that's fine. But we also teach you how to write web pages, press releases, brochures, and newsletters. That dramatically extends your scope for earning money. Competitor A thinks that copywriting is about 'hard-sell'. They teach you to 'sell, sell, sell'. But if you're marketing a retirement property to an elderly couple, you need a gentle, reassuring sell. Copywriting should have many 'tones of voice'.
On the plus side, Competitor A has a great forum. Maybe we ought to have one, too. However, our students can contact each other and share experiences, using the students' database.
Competitor B. This course has only five modules. And it doesn't tell you how to set up your own business. The marking is done by academics. This isn't surprising because the course is run by college professors. All our tutors are real-life copywriters who earn their living from writing copy. And we have in-depth advice on setting and marketing your business. For their sake, it's a shame so many people enrol on other courses. But at least you've come to the right place :-).
It's time to get started
Having read this far, you've got what it takes - motivation. Fill out the enrolment form now, because this is where the adventure and rewards begin. It's easy to start:
- Register online by clicking here. If you need help or information, write or phone the Blackford Centre.
- We’ll send you the full course materials within five days - anywhere in the world.
- When you get the course, read the first module. It’s laid out in an easy-to-follow format. Then do the first assignment. It asks you simply to describe your life, your interests and your aims. Send (or e-mail) it to your tutor for assessment. Your tutor will return it to you with friendly advice and comments.
- Do the same for the other modules, until you reach the end of the course. By then, you'll probably be earning good money as a copywriter.
We look forward to helping you succeed.
Read more: About our fees and registration
an advisor on