Autism & Aspergers Syndrome - ASD
The Blackford Centre
Get the prospectus by email
Autism & Aspergers ASD Courses Syllabus
Module 1 - Welcome
- What is Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
- What are the differences between Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome and Pervasive Developmental Disorder ?
- What are the three different conditions within ASD – ‘Triad of Impairments’?
- What difficulties are there with social interaction, communication and imagination?
- How do these affect learning ?
- What are the genetic or environmental causes of ASD?
- What are the Myths?
Module 2 - Explaining ASD Behaviours
- What anxieties/phobias/dislikes are experienced by young people with ASD?
- How to recognise characteristics of ASD through children’s behaviour?
- What is ‘theory of mind’, and how does the lack of it affect young people with ASD?
- How do people with ASD interact with the sensory world?
- What sort of challenging behaviours are there?
- How is diet affected?
Module 3 - Communicating & Talking
- How is receptive language affected?
- How is expressive language affected?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of speech, language and communication skills?
- What is echolalia?
- What are intentional and pre-intentional communication?
- What are Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) supports?
Module 4 - Assessing & Diagnosing ASD
- How is ASD assessed/diagnosed in Children?
- How is ASD assessed/diagnosed in Adults?
- What criteria are used and how are they interpreted?
- What is a multi-agency assessment?
- What clinical guidelines should assessors be following?
- What gender differences are there?
- What does a diagnostic report look like?
- What do some of the technical terms used in the report actually mean?
Module 5 - Approaching ASD
- What does a ‘person-centred approach’ look like?
- How to plan social inclusion and avoid bullying?
- How to plan to meet individual needs?
- What is ‘best practice’ in supporting ASD
- What is the ‘National Autism Plan for Children (NAPC)’?
Module 6 - Working with ASD
- What are the practical considerations?
- How to create a safe environment?
- What are Visual Strategies?
- What are “social stories” and “comic strip conversations”?
- What aspects of non-verbal communication are there, and what is their role in supporting someone with ASD?
- What is a multisensory approach?
- How to improve organisational skills?
- When in school, how to manage:
- Transition between schools?
- Transition between lessons?
- Transition between activities?
- Directed seating plans?
- Non-lesson time?
- Entry and egress from the school campus?
Module 7 - Ethical, Legal & Organisational Issues
- What are the mental health issues with ASD?
- What are the consequences of the Autism Act 2009 and implications for practice in England?
- What are the challenges for:
- Teacher/Teaching Assistant/Careworker?
- Local Authority?
- Where to find support and helpful resources (websites, videos, support groups)?
an advisor on