IT Consultant Courses
Get the prospectus by email
IT Consultant Course Syllabus
- What makes a good IT consultant?
- Advantages and disadvantages
- What are your earning and lifestyle goals?
- Factors that make people go freelance
- Getting experience prior to becoming an IT contractor
2. Who hires IT consultants?
- What services do they need?
- Build and repair, trouble shoot, viruses
- web design
- systems analysis
- IT training
- selling products (and product or software markups)
- selling software
- Clients Local vs. distance
- Clients – their attitudes and culture. The decision making process. Getting to Yes.
3. How to set up an IT contracting business
- How to set up a business, the forms of business (sole trader, partnership, limited company), IR35
- Your home office; communications, phone, answerphone
4. How much to charge
- What others charge, working out your income needs
5. Managing Money
- How to manage the money, keeping the books, tax, staying out of trouble, getting paid, chasing money
6. Legal issues
- Contracts, letters. What kind of contract. Retainers.
- Managing risk liability
- Change management.
7. How to find clients, and market your services
- Business Cards, Resume, PR, advertising (Google, local press, postcards, mail drops, blog, writing local articles, writing online articles), networking, word of mouth, online marketplaces, getting references)
8. The initial meeting
- Understanding a client’s needs. Improving your sales skills. Selling a service, selling intangibles. Using NLP. How to project your personality. How to win clients over.
9. The process
- Doing an audit.
- Writing a proposal, setting a budget, planning a project, Status reporting, scheduling work.
- Intellectual property
10. Managing your business
- Customer Relationship Management: managing expectations, communicating well, assessing client satisfaction through informal feedback or questionnaire. Developing a lifelong relationship. Nurturing client relationships. Your quality of life vs income.
- Improving your competence: continuing professional development.
- Keeping the work coming in. Balancing conflicting client's needs.
- Making decisions about the length of your working life. When and how will you retire? How many days' holidays per year? Managing your holidays. Who will cover? Getting a pension.
11. Growing the business, the advanced IT consultant
- Outsourcing work, co-op working, hiring employees.
- Moving to higher level work.
- How to increase your income
an advisor on