SEBD. Social Emotional & Behavioural Difficulties
The Blackford Centre
Get the prospectus by email
Black Friday Sale! Great discounts available!
Sales Ends on Friday, 2nd DecemberClick here
Even the calmest teachers don't like Ashley
Ashley's disruptive. He's aggressive to other pupils, and intimidates the weaker teachers. He often skips school. He’s disengaged, and isn’t interested in making anything of himself.
Ashley makes every class difficult, because the other students take their cue from him. Sending his out of the class becomes a routine solution.
He doesn’t have redeeming qualities. He isn’t bright, and he isn’t charming. So we tend to be harder on him.
Ashley doesn’t have learning difficulties, so we can’t easily forgive him. Frankly he's hard to like.
But sanctions seem to have no effect on him.
At parents’ evening, his parents rarely show up. When asked in to discuss his behaviour, they side with Ashley and are sullen.
Do you have a child like Ashley in your classroom?
Do you get frustrated and angry with him? Do you end up sending him out?
But you know in your heart there has to be a better way.
The Blackford Centre's Diploma in Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties could help you to overcome the problems you face with pupils like Ashley.
In seven modules we give you the tools to reduce pupils' bad behaviour. You can help them achieve their potential, and make your life easier for yourself and other teachers.
What the course covers
- What exactly are social and emotional behavioural problems?
- We examine examples of SEBD, from bullying and attention seeking to vandalism.
- Why do children behave badly?
- We look at attachment theory, significant others, and emotional development.
- What causes SEBD? Is it the family? The lack of role models? Could there be dyslexia? Or something else?
- How you can identify children with SEBD?
- How can the school respond to SEBD?
- What strategies can you adopt in the classroom
- How you can engage the family
- What are the legal, and ethical issues surrounding SEBD?
The course will empower you to change a child's life.
You need practical techniques
There's growing awareness of EBD in schools. But many teachers and teaching assistants aren't well enough informed about the difficulties caused by the condition, nor the techniques they can use to improve the child’s situation.
Having a child with SEBD in class is complicated. It is difficult to teach a group of children, keep their attention, and keep them learning - while coping with disruption.
It's your responsibility to teach each child and be sure they comprehend what you are teaching. But how can you do that with constant interruptions? How can you motivate the SEBD child ?
It's frustrating. But that frustration results from a lack of knowledge and understanding of SEBD. And that's what the Diploma course will help you.
Who are SEBD children?
You know that the actions of an SEBD child are not intentional. You know in your heart that the child is not spiteful or purposely causing problems. You know that the child has the same dreams and desires as other children, but doesn't achieve them.
Knowledge puts you back in control
Spending time each and every day with a child who has SEBD is challenging. There are the management difficulties, the emotional challenges, and the mental exhaustion that you feel. You feel helpless because you want so hard to help the child, but nothing seems to work the way you plan.
You have turned to peers for advice, but found that many friends are not in the same situation which makes you feel alienated. You read books but find that the information is outdated. You scour the internet for facts but find nothing but empty promises. You ask a therapist or counsellor for guidance but the process seems excruciatingly long and you need immediate help.
With the help of this course, you have the opportunity to learn about Social, Educational and Behavioural Difficulties, and apply that knowledge.
- You will understand the meaning behind a child’s actions, so that you can understand their needs.
- You will find the tools to be successful in day-to-day interactions.
- You will have strategies to implement immediately, and you will see results.
This course was created to help teachers and carers understand SEBD and the challenges of the children who live with it. If you think an SEBD child is difficult for you, think of how much more difficult it is for that child.
With each module you will gain greater insight into how you can understand the SEBD child and help them attain their goals and make their dreams come true. All children set out to be great. This is your chance to make that a reality.
This course is:
- Comprehensive The course has everything from the causes of SEBD to tips on how you can talk to the child and get results. There is no more searching the internet for unrelated, specific bits of information provided by unknown people.
- Easy: There are step-by-step modules and instructions keep you on track. You can revisit a section at any time.
- Flexible: You can study any part of the course, at any time.
- Affordable: The cost is outweighed by the difference you will make to many children over your career.
If you don't like the course (for any reason), just email us to cancel at any time within 60 days of receiving your pack and we’ll refund your course fees.
Why do we offer this refund? Because we don't like to part on bad terms (life's too short), and we’d prefer you to say nice things about us.
What you'll get at the end of the course
When you successfully complete the course you’ll get a Diploma in SEBD Support, demonstrating your knowledge in the field of social emotional behavioural difficulties.
You'll also get this virtual sticker to use on your website, letters and brochures.
It's time to get started
- Goto our course enrolment page.
- When you receive your course material, just jump in and get started.
- By the time you reach the end of the course you will have had the training you need to recognise and help autistic young people.
- It won´t be long before you have a Diploma in SEBD Support.
If you have any questions before you sign up call us on
0800 781 1715 (or +44 1373 837464 if outside the UK) and we'll answer any queries you have.
We look forward to helping you succeed.
With best wishes
an advisor on