The World's No. 1 Copywriting Course
Blackford Centre for Copywriting
Get the course prospectus
by email. Click here.
The 17 Copywriting Modules
Becoming a Copywriter
- What is copywriting?
- What do copywriters produce?
- How do copywriters work?
- Your writing style
- What skills do you need?
- Evaluating your strengths and weaknesses
- Tutor marked assignment: Write about yourself.
Your Audience - on a Screen and on Paper
- Who will read your copy?
- Understanding people’s needs
- Why writing for the web is special
- Who are you trying to attract?
- Sites from the visitor’s perspective
- Define your tone
- Self assessed assignment: Re-write dull content.
How Copywriters Write
- How to get started
- Reading aloud
- Avoiding writer’s block
- How much should you write?
- Achieving the right paragraph length
- Write headlines that invite people to read on
- Use the active tense
- Don’t use long words
- Tutor marked assignment: Devise a brand name for a new range of boys' shoes
More Advanced Writing Strategies
- Make an offer
- Offer a guarantee
- Add testimonials
- How to link sentences
- Helpful introductory words
- Using good punctuation
- Using contractions
- Avoid weasel words
- Splitting the infinitive
- Using capitals
- Self-assessed assignment: Re-write German travel copy.
Writing for Different Kinds of Web Pages
- What content should you have?
- How to make an index or home page
- Special pages
- Specific products and services pages
- Contact us page
- About us page
- FAQ page
- Shopping carts and billing page
- Buying site content
- Tutor marked assignment: Write web copy for Conquest Lawnmowers
Writing to Get Found by Google
- SEO copywriting: what it is and why you need it
- Optimising web pages and related elements
- Optimising keyword density, synonyms, and phrases
- Internal and external linking strategies
- Self assessed assignment: Write keywords and copy for a water cooler.
How to Sell using Email Marketing
- Email marketing
- How to write marketing emails
- Writing email newsletters
- Email marketing and the law
- Tutor marked assignment: Interview a mock client: Create a promotional email.
- Possibly a new product.
Writing For Social Media
- Why brands write on social media
- Writing for Social Media: The Essentials
- Writing for Twitter
- Writing for Facebook
- Writing for LinkedIn
- Writing for Google+
- Scripting YouTube Videos
- Creating Pinterest Content
- Writing for Tumblr and Reddit
- Self-assessed assignment: Script a charity video.
Punchy Press Ads
- Getting a creative brief
- Producing concepts
- The three elements of the ad
- How to advertise a service
- How to advertise business-to-business
- Writing successful small ads
- Tutor marked assignment: Write bread concepts
Writing Leaflets and Brochures
- What format do you need?
- Technical literature
- 15 ways to make your brochure more interesting
- Special types of leaflets
- Mistakes to avoid
- Self assessed assignment: Write car brochure Q&A section.
How to Write Better Direct Mail
- Advice on writing a letter to send with your direct mail
- Writing a powerful opening
- How to achieve the ideal style and format
- Boosting your response rate
- Mistakes to avoid in direct mail
- Printing your direct mail
- Tutor marked assignment: Direct mail for cats’ and dogs’ home
Setting up as a Copywriter
- A place to work
- The tools you need
- Your business name
- Creating your portfolio
- Self assessed assignment: Improve the cocoa direct copy.
Your Own Website
- Your website - consider the objectives
- Designing your website
- Publicising your website
- Keeping people coming back
- How to write your own web pages
- Self assessed assignment: Review websites that offer copywriting services.
UX Writing and Microcopy
- What is UX writing?
- What is microcopy?
- Who needs microcopy?
- Writing Help content
- Adding error and system messages
- Navigation, labels and forms
- Privacy and legal information
- Useful microcopy tools
- Creating a user persona
- Creating a storyboard
- Creating a wire frame for design
- Tutor marked assignment: Write three sets of micro copy.
Marketing Yourself: Bricks and Mortar Clients
- Sources of work
- Advertisers and advertising agencies
- Designers and printers
- How to look for work
- Getting experience
- Your first meeting
- Understanding your client’s needs
- Optional tutor marked assignment: Marketing yourself:
- Write an essay on how you will find clients
Finding Work on Online Sites
- Freelance writing exchanges
- How to win writing assignments on freelance exchanges
- Where to look for other writing opportunities
- Optional tutor marked assignment: Write a proposal for a freelance job.
Finance, Legal Issues and Employment
- How to keep clients happy
- Using job folders
- Deciding how much to charge
- Letter of agreement
- Getting paid - chasing your money
- Legal issues
- Tutor marked assignment: Write an overview.
We supply all the modules at the beginning of the course. That means you can study topics whenever you choose. You don't have to wait weeks to get to a section that you need. Though we recommend you take the modules in the order shown, you can tackle them in any order you choose. To help you get the most from the course, we aim to be completely flexible.
Read more: What you'll learn on the course.
an advisor on