Professional Dog Training Course
The Blackford Centre for Dog Training
The fascinating topics you’ll cover on the course
- What is a well trained dog?
- What are the five ground rules for dog training?
- What are the two golden rules?
- How do I read my dog?
- Where do I come into my dogs training?
- What should my attitude be towards training my dog?
- How does my dog’s age relate to his ability to learn?
2. Understanding your dog. Dog psychology explained
- Introduction to dog psychology
- Can my dog reason logically?
- What are the three most commonly exhibited behaviours?
- What are the characteristics of these drives?
- The pack drives characteristics
- The defensive drives characteristics
- What are hackles and hackling?
- How do these drives apply to my training?
- Bringing out the drives
- Switching drives
3. The puppy period
- Basic facts you need to know before starting this module.
- Your dog's social needs
- Between seven and twelve weeks, early interaction
- The first fear period occurs between 8 and 12 weeks
- Why does my dog not come anymore, over 12 weeks?
- Reaching maturity, not the pup you bought?
- We now come to the second fear period
- Hormone fluctuation
- Spaying and neutering
- Spaying and neutering, when should it be done?
4. Setting up a training programme
- What are the features of reward training?
- Limits to reward training
- Positive reinforcement
- Choose your setting
- How reward training works
- Taking care of your dog during training
- Why does reward training work?
- Additional tips and reminders
5. Socialising a dog
- Using a training collar
- Types of collar
- The advantages of using a training head collar
- Getting to grips with a training collar
- Why it must be properly fitted
- Socialising with dogs
- With other dogs
- With humans
- With other animals
- How to socialise a puppy
- 10 ways to socialise your puppy
6. No more puddles. House training made easy
- All you need to know about house training and crate training
- How do i go about house training?
- The dos and don’ts of house training
- Importance of house training
- How to deal with house training challenges
- How to establish a den for your dog
- Crate training for puppies and dogs
- What are the benefits of crate training?
- What are the best crates for dogs and puppies?
- How do choose the best crate?
- Useful tips for crate training
- How do i handle crate training accidents?
- Extending crate time
- In summary
7. Getting a dog to Sit and Stay
- Dog obedience training
- Know the traits of your dog
- Be consistent with your training
- Discipline but not punish
- The importance of rewards
- Appreciate your dog
- Benefits of dog obedience training
8. Walking at your side. Coming to you on command
- Lead and collar training
- How to train your dog using a training collar and lead
- Teaching your puppy to accept the lead and collar
- Training your puppy with the lead and collar
- How to minimize lead pulling
- Taking off the lead
9. Eliminating biting, barking, jumping up and chewing. And other bad habits.
- Refusing to respond when called
- Training for proper dog behaviour
- Eliminating biting tendencies
- Preventing mouthing and biting
- Reliance on trust to prevent dog bites
- Eliminating bad dog habits
- Howling, excessive barking, and whining
- Tips for dealing with your dog's excessive whining howling and barking
- Problem chewing
- Problem 1: jumping on people
- Problem 2: tugging and pulling the leash
- Problem 3: random escapes and roams in your neighbourhood
- Dog/ pup training for good behaviour
10 How to create and run your own classes
- What’s the next step?
- Choosing a location
- Choose your market
- Consider your activities and the amount of space needed
- Factor in the weather
- Select a place that easy to locate
- Keep it clean and well-organized
- Interviewing interested owners
- 8 critical things to discuss in your owner interview
- Tools required
- Marking out an area
- Structuring group lessons
- How long should your class be, and how should you structure it?
- How do you manage the owners?
- How do you start the class?
- How do you end each class?
- Structuring one-on-one lessons
- How do you structure each class?
11. Finding clients for your business
- How will you position yourself?
- Sources of work
- The internet
- Leaflet drop
- Fee-charging seminars
- Free seminars
- How to organise a seminar that wins you clients
- Using PR to get business
- Making your website work
- Gaining referrals
- Advertising. The media. Writing an ad
12. Setting up your practice
- A place to work Where to practise?
- Using a telephone and answer phone
- Setting up the office
- Useful reading
- What skills do you need?
- How to assess your strengths and weaknesses
- Other aspects to consider
- Getting prepared
13. Staying within the law: Finance, tax and insurance
- Setting up your business on a small budget
- Putting together a business plan
- How to keep financial records in four easy steps
- Paying tax
an advisor on