Emergency Plumbing Courses
The Blackford Centre for Emergency Plumbing
Diploma in Emergency Plumbing Course Contents
The fascinating topics you’ll cover on the course
We cover everything you need to know in nine modules.
Module 1 Introduction to Plumbing Why be an emergency plumber?
- The job description of a plumber
- The skill set of the average plumber
- Attributes needed to excel in a career in plumbing
- The phases of a plumbing task
- General terms used in the plumbing profession
Module 2 Plumbing problems with taps and drain blockages
- The four main types of taps – compression, ball, cartridge and disc
- You will learn some of the possible causes of tap related problems
- How to disassemble a tap and identify the problem
- How to unblock a drain under a sink, shower or bath tub
- How to use chemicals safely to unblock a drain
Module 3 Plumbing problems with toilets
- The different types of toilets available and suitability for different spaces
- The different flushing systems available for use
- What is the trap-way and what does it do?
- Diagram detailing the inner workings of a toilet
- Identifying common toilet problems
- How to repair a toilet
Module 4 Plumbing problems with pipes
- The types of pipes used in plumbing and pipe measurements
- The different types of pipe connectors available
- How to fix a pin hole leak sing different methods
- The importance of insulation and how to avoid frozen pipes
- What do you do if a pipe is leaking
Module 5 Plumbing problems with radiators
- Why do we need a heating system?
- The most common radiator problems you may be asked to fix.
- Detailed descriptions on how to identify and fix a leaking radiator
- How to remove sludge from the radiator and the problems this causes
- How to bleed a radiator
- Problems with the thermostatic radiator valve (TRV)
Module 6 Plumbing problems with the heating system and water heaters
- What is a central heating system?
- How to use the thermostatic controls correctly
- How to balance your heating system if the radiators are not working
- The different types of water heaters and how they work
- The difference between gas and electric heating systems
- Problems associated with heaters and how you can solve them
- How to identify a faulty pilot light
- What to do if you have discoloured water or unpleasant smells
Module 7 Appliance troubleshooting washing machines and dishwashers
- What is a plumbing appliance and what could go wrong
- Washing machines
- How do they work?
- Inside a washing machine
- Common problems that you may encounter
- How do they work?
- Inside a dishwasher, what are the internal parts?
- Common dishwasher problems and how to fix them
Module 8 Appliance troubleshooting boilers
- What is a boiler and how does it affect our homes?
- How does the heating system work?
- The three main types of boilers available for domestic settings
- Common problems with boilers that you can fix:
- How to fix a radiator that is not heating
- What to do if you water tank is overflowing
- How to defrost and frozen condensate pipe and ways to prevent this from happening again.
Module 9 Health and Safety for emergency plumbing
- Identify and prepare for safe work practices and conditions that can make work areas dangerous.
- We will learn about Personal Protective Equip¬ment (PPE) used on a job site.
- Accidents that could occur in a plumbing situation and what you need to be aware of
- Safety considerations you will need to think about
- Basic tool safety
- The types of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) you may need
- Falls and how to prevent accidents
- Health and safety advice
Module 10 How to Launch your Business
- Marketing your service
- How to find clients
- Sources of work
- Your website
- Publicising your services
- Promotional materials
- Handling clients
Module 11 How to Manage your Money
- Do you need to be registered?
- Do you need a business plan?
- Your vehicle
- Business insurance
- The ‘form’ of your business
an advisor on