Blackford Centre for Journalism
Become a journalist
Are you looking for an exciting career that uses your writing skills?
If so, journalism could be the job for you.
- Are you inquisitive?
- Do you like to talk to others, and find out what they’re really thinking?
Then journalism might be the ideal career for you. And our Certificate in Journalism is the perfect place to start that career.
The world at your fingertips
Major stories often start on your own door step, in your neighbourhood, or at your town hall.
But you need to be there and be ready to report them.
So if you're a writer, and you like people, you have a unique responsibility to uncover the news and then share it with the public, so they can view the events through your trained eyes.
What's more, as the internet continues to expand, there are more and more opportunities for you as a journalist online.
Real-world lessons with real-world applications
With the Certificate in Journalism home-study course, you will learn:
- What kinds or styles of journalism you are best suited for
- Whether freelance or full-time work is right for you
- How to get experience, how to write well, how to ask the right questions
- How to develop sources , get scoops, and promote yourself
- How to find – and succeed at – a job in journalism
In just a short time, you can put your journalism studies to use in the real world, whether you're writing about a forthcoming event for a community newspaper, working behind the scenes at an exciting radio talk show, or blogging about the latest celebrity make-ups and break-ups. It’s all up to you!
12 great modules
The course has twelve modules, each with a computer marked assignment for you to complete. Have a look at what you'll study. When you've done all twelve, you'll get a downloadable certificate.
The course benefits include:
- Study where – and when – you want. You can go as fast or as slow as you’d like, depending on your schedule. In addition, you can study at home or at your favourite coffee shop.
- You’ll develop skills that are in-demand. From newspapers to magazines to tv to radio to websites to blogs, you have more opportunities than ever to put your newly honed skills to good use.
- You’ll create your own portfolio of samples and clips as you go, which will be incredibly useful when you meet potential clients.
- You’ll practise as you study in a safe environment for learning – you don’t have to show your work until you’re ready. And you can work on projects in the comfort of your own home.
- You’ll enjoy fantastic modules packed with gripping content. You can learn how to track down stories and get an interview. You can discover how to write about favourites such as food and fashion. You can investigate crime. And more.
What you’ll get at the end of the course
When you successfully complete the course, you’ll get a downloadable Certificate in Journalism. It demonstrates that you’ve got the skills and talent to produce top quality writing. And it will give editors added reason to entrust their work to you.
More importantly, you’ll have the confidence to go out and pitch for work. And you’ll have the skills to win it. It means that you’ll earn money from freelance writing, which is your goal.
Upgrade and get Accreditation
For an extra £50 (total £199) you get a second, independent Level 3 Certificate from ABC Awards, a leading accreditation body and one that is recognised by Ofqual.
Click here to see more about ABC Awards (it opens in a new page).
The Award is further evidence of your knowledge of journalism. To learn more about upgrading, contact us by phone or email .
If you have any questions before you sign up call us on
0800 781 1715 (or +44 1373 837464 if outside the UK) and we'll answer any queries you have.
We look forward to helping you.
With best wishes
an advisor on