Online Writing Courses
The Blackford Centre
Blackford Centre for Online Writing
Certificate in Online Writing - Course Syllabus
- What is a professional online writer?
- What does a professional online writer do?
- How do online writers do their jobs?
- Understanding what the client wants
- How do you position yourself as a professional writer?
- Instant copywriting techniques
- Fighting writer's block
- Important copyright considerations
Dealing with online clients
- Who commissions online work?
- Four different types of clients
- Which type of client should you target?
- How to get beneath the client’s skin
How to write articles the professional way
- The component parts of professional writing
- Write on any subject under the sun
- Communicate with your clients regularly
- Editing: nothing is sacred
- An introduction to search engine optimisation (seo)
Website copy – engaging your readers
- Characteristics of poor website copy:
- Part 1 – structure
- Characteristics of good website copy:
- Part 2: substance
Writing ebooks and printed books
- What you might write about
- How to get writing assignments
- Writing ebooks, printed books, etc., for yourself
How to write professional reports
- The structure and style of your report
- An authoritative voice
- Making it readable
Training material – meeting the real needs of learners.
- Types of learners
- General guidelines for writers of training materials
- Specific tips for writing training materials
Copywriting – learning to turn out persuasive marketing copy
- What exactly is copywriting, anyway?
- Why writing for the web is different
- What your clients are looking for in a copywriter
- The basics of effective copywriting
- Advanced copywriting techniques
- Types of ghost writing
- Using somebody else’s voice
- The hidden agenda
- Getting work as a ghostwriter
- What is academic writing?
- Common types of academic writing
- Citing your sources
Technical writing: step by step
- Do you need specialised knowledge?
- Types of technical writing
- Explaining complex technology
- Subtle marketing
Other types of online writing
- Making money via other types of online writing
- 6 types of online projects to consider
- How to get ready for online projects
How to ensure your work gets accepted
- Preparing your work for review by your client
- Proofreading tips
How to research information
- Beware these common research traps
- Layman’s terms are important
- Overview of expert interviewing techniques
- Interviewing for a press release
- Interviewing for a human interest piece
- Interviewing for a ghost written book
Working with other writers
- Finding writers
- Testing applicants
- Writer’s agreement
- Relationship management
- The project brief
- Taxes and payments
- The benefits of trickle-feeding
- Order flow
- Quality assurance – proofreading and plagiarism
an advisor on