Blackford Centre for Screenwriting
Accredited Diploma in Screenwriting
More about the course....
If you are going to invest in your future by taking a course, you need to know what you are getting.
Our Becoming a Screenwriter course has 13 modules that together cover everything you need to know about screenwriting, no matter what your skills and experience.
You could have been writing creatively for years or never have put pen to paper, our course will still unlock the secrets of screenwriting for you.
Already got an idea for a screenplay? This course will show you how to identify your genre, create believable characters, fine tune the story and pitch it to the experts.
Just want to have a go at breaking into the field? This course will show you where to draw inspiration from, teach you how to transform that inspiration into compelling drama or comedy and get it on to the page.
Each module has been written by an expert in their field. Our writers boast a huge variety of backgrounds within screenwriting. They come from the world of academia (it is an educational course, after all) television, film production and marketing, to name just a few.
And because the course has been written by real, practising writers with a passion for screenwriting, you can be sure they really do know what they are talking about.
So when you encounter obstacles on your screenwriting journey, such as writers’ block, you can rest assured that the advice comes from people who really do know what they are writing about.
What's in the course?
The 13 modules cover the whole field of screenwriting for both films on the big screen and programmes on television.
Each section has been covered by a writer in the know, someone who wants to share their expertise with you and help you realise your creative dream.
To give you a feel for what the course covers, here are some of the topics:
- Inspiration – does your family history hold the key to that great screenplay? It could and our course can show you how.
- Dialogue – have you tried writing a screenplay and ended up with a cast of characters that all sound the same? Don’t worry. It’s an easy mistake to make and we can show you how to avoid it.
- Genre – not sure whether your film idea is science fiction or fantasy? We can show you how to pick your genre, target your audience and ensure your film is a success.
- Setting the scene – do you know how an environment can alter an audience’s perceptions and expectations of a film or television series? Our course can show you how to pick the right background for your masterpiece.
- Formatting – did you know that scripts have to be set out in precise ways? Our course will show you how to ensure that your work is presented in the most professional way possible and tell you about the software that can cut your workload. Plus we include Free Software. It'll make sure your script is not rejected due to wrong formatting - one of the most common causes of rejection.
- Marketing – if you want to have the best chance of seeing your work on screen, you’ve got to know how the film and television industries work. Our course raises the curtain on who to contact, how to approach them and how to make that all-important pitch.
Going the distance
As well as the quality of the course material, here at the Blackford Centre we believe in distance learning and we are committed to producing top quality courses for our students.
If you have made the decision to study screenwriting, we believe that our distance learning package offers the ideal solution for you. Its advantages over other methods of study are obvious.
With our busy lifestyles, not everyone can get to college or evening classes or make a commitment to such a regular appointment to learn.
And who really wants to be stuck in a classroom at the end of a busy day?
With our course you can study when you want.
While the internet may seem an attractive alternative, not everyone wants to set their alarm for three in the morning just to be part of an on-line seminar for a course.
With our distance learning package, you are the one in control. Once you register, you will receive the whole course, all 13 modules, allowing you a unique flexibility in planning your learning.
You can draw up your own timetable, choose your own pace and as all your material is bound and in printed form, there’s no hunting around for stray internet printouts or trawling the favourites on your computer after you’ve lost a page.
You can even study the modules in whichever way you choose. While the complete course covers everything you need to know about screenwriting, its structure allows you to focus on what you need to first.
So if it's character development you’re struggling with, pick up that module, or you need some inspiration, pick up that module.
Remember, all the course materials are totally portable so you can study wherever, as well as whenever, you like.
Additionally, the cost of the course is much lower than traditional on-campus courses because many of our faculty work from home. Also, we save the costs of maintaining on-campus facilities, and can put that money to better use by providing a higher quality syllabus.
You pay just a one-time fee, which is all-inclusive. No hidden fees and no nasty surprises later!
You’re not on your own
But we don’t just send out the courses and let you get on with it. No. Our courses offer a very interactive learning experience.
Every student is assigned a personal tutor experienced in screenwriting. They will be with you every step of the way providing a personal, friendly and confidential contact to guide you on your journey to becoming a screenwriter.
At the end of each module, there is an assignment on the featured material which will be marked by your personal tutor.
They can give you all the objective advice and feedback you need, helping you to get the maximum benefit from the course and ensuring your work is given the expert attention you would expect from a professional learning organisation.
You have taken the time and trouble to invest in your future and that is as important to us as it is to you.
We want to do everything we can to help you succeed, and assigning you a personal tutor ensures that you will get the most you possibly can out of the course.
Whatever your problem, whatever the trouble, your personal tutor will work with you to find an answer.
Each module also contains self-assessment exercises allowing you to check and test what you have learned so far.
We believe that the combination of a personal tutor and self-assessment provides a powerful learning experience which enables you not only to enjoy your learning but to learn how to enjoy your writing.
Believe in yourself
We know that screenwriting is a dream career, something people fantasize about while stuck behind their desks in a nine to five job or stuck at the sink doing dishes.
And, as we’ve said, we believe all students need to be realistic about exactly what they can achieve.
But we also want you to know that becoming a screenwriter is far from impossible.
Check out the backgrounds of some of the most powerful people in television and film and you’ll see that the muse of success can strike anyone and everyone.
- Jimmy McGovern trained as a teacher. He went on to create Cracker, a psychologicial crime drama so successful in the UK that it was remade for the American markets.
- Quentin Tarantino used to work in a video shop surrounded by films. Now his screenwriting work, including Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, is being studied in film schools.
- James Cameron worked as a model builder before coming up with the idea and screenplay for The Terminator.
Teachers, journalists, managers, housewives… all it takes is that one inspirational idea for a story and a whole new world could open up for you.
Dedication, talent and even luck all play a role in who succeeds and who doesn’t. But if you’re serious about pursuing a career in screenwriting, and you want to give yourself the best possible chance of success, why not enrol on our Becoming A Screenwriter course?
When you complete the course
Once you complete the course, you’ll receive your Diploma. It’s the formal recognition you'll have earned of your skills and knowledge in screenwriting.
But more importantly, you will be in possession of everything you need to make your dreams of a career in screenwriting come true.
But we also offer a guarantee: if you don't like the course (for any reason), just email us to cancel at any time within 30 days of receiving your pack, and we'll refund your course fees.
Why do we give this refund? Because we don't like to part on bad terms (life's too short). And we'd prefer you to say nice things about us.
But, you ask, does anyone actually claim a refund? Absolutely! Around five per cent of our students ask for their money back each month. And we're happy to pay them, because we know that the best course in the world won't suit every single person.
It’s time to get started
Having read this far, you've got what it takes - motivation. Now all you have to do is get started. Because this is where the adventure and rewards begin. You've waited long enough - why wait any longer? Go ahead and do something for yourself, to make your dreams a reality. It's easy to start:
- Go to the registration page. You can sign up online, and you'll receive your course within days.
- When you get the course, read the first module. It has an easy-to-follow format. Then just plunge in: do the first assignment. Send it to your tutor for assessment. Your tutor will return it to you with friendly advice and comments.
- Do the same for the other modules, until you reach the end of the course. By then, you'll be equipped with all the skills and knowledge you need to write your screenplay and get it noticed – and you'll be a lot nearer making your dream of a life as a screenwriter come true.
If you have any questions before you sign up call us on
0800 781 17 15 (or +44 1373 470 270 if you're outside the UK), and we'll answer any queries you have.
We look forward to helping you succeed.
With best wishes
an advisor on