Special Educational Needs Courses
Blackford Centre for SEN
SEN Support Course
The 20 SEN Course Modules
1. What are special educational needs?
- What are special educational needs (SEN)?
- The SEN code of practice 2014
- Signs that tell a child may have SEN
- What qualities are needed to be a SEN teaching assistant?
- What skills are needed to be a SEN teaching assistant?
2. Theory of special needs
- History of special needs education
- The inclusive approach to special needs education
3. The big picture of special educational needs provision
- Government policy
- Codes of practice and other guidance
- SEND Code of Practice
4. SEN provision in your school
- School policy
- School practice
- The role of the SENCO
5. Observation, testing and assessment
- Identifying pupils with SEN
- P scales
- Statementing – what does it involve?
- Staffing and resourcing
6. Supporting dyslexia and literacy
- What is dyslexia?
- Signs that tell you a child may have dyslexia
- Supporting children with dyslexia
7. Aiding speech and language difficulties
- Types of speech and language difficulties
- Signs that tell you a child may have speech and language difficulties
- Supporting children with speech and language difficulties
8. Managing behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
- What are behavioural, emotional and social difficulties?
- Signs that tell you a child may have behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
- Supporting children with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
- Examples of behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
9. Supporting autism and asperger syndrome
- What are autism and asperger syndrome?
- Signs that tell you a child may have ASD
- Home based approaches and interventions
- Supporting children with ASD in schools
- What is ADHD?
- Signs that tell you a child may have ADHD
- Supporting children with ADHD at home and at school
11. Teaching talented and gifted children
- How to identify talented and gifted children
- Signs that tell you a child may be talented and gifted
- Supporting talented and gifted children
12. Supporting blindness and visual impairment
- What are blindness and visual impairment?
- Signs that tell you a child may have vision problems
- Supporting blind and visually impaired children in schools
13. Physical impairment and cerebral palsy
- What is physical impairment?
- What is cerebral palsy?
- What is dyspraxia?
- Signs that tell you a child may have physical difficulties
- Supporting physically impaired children in schools
14. Deafness and hearing impairment
- What is deafness?
- Signs that tell you a child may have hearing problems
- Hearing aids and other technologies
- Communication approaches
- Supporting deaf children in schools
15. Intellectual difficulties
- What are intellectual disabilities?
- Signs that tell you a child may have an intellectual disability
- Supporting children with intellectual disabilities
16. Dyscalculia and numeracy
- What is dyscalculia?
- Signs that tell you a child may have dyscalculia
- Supporting children with dyscalculia
17. Using technology
- Why use technology?
- Using technology effectively
- Types of technology – hardware
- Types of technology – software
18. The different ages of the child
- Early years education
- Primary school
- Secondary school
19. Providing support at home and choosing the right school
- Providing support at home
- Mainstream or special school?
20. Finding a job in SEN
- Gaining experience
- Applying for a job
- Who to approach
- What to include in your letter
- Preparing for an interview
Read more: What you'll find in the pack
an advisor on