Diploma in Weight Loss Coaching
The Blackford Centre for Weight Loss
Home based Weight Loss Coach course contents syllabus
Weight Loss Coach Course Syllabus
1. Let's talk about the problem of weight
- In this module we explore the scale of obesity, and its causes and consequences. We also look at myths surrounding weight loss.
- The Obesity Epidemic
- Why Weight Control?
- Diet Misconceptions
- Risks and Disadvantages of being Obese
- What’s next?
- Included: Videos on the scale and causes of obesity.
2. Why do people overeat?
- To help clients lose weight you have to understand what's going on in their mind. Is it a lack of knowledge or some deeper problem?
- Food Cravings
- Food Addiction
- Binge Eating
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Included: useful forms for your client.
3. Food types
- We review the different food groups, and explain what they do.
- Minerals and vitamins
- Included: Videos of the role of different food types.
4. The Digestive System - The ins and outs
- Here we examine how the digestive system works. It's important to understand how your body processes food.
- The anatomy of the digestive system
- The function of the oral cavity
- The function of the stomach
- The function of the liver, gall bladder and pancreas
- The function of the small intestine
- The function of the colon
- Included: videos that explain hw the digestive system works
5. Compiling an eating programme
- This module covers various strategies for reducing weight through changing the food your clients eat.
- The need for a lifestyle change
- How to substitute foods
- How to reduce carbohydrate intake
- Reducing fat intake
- Reduce sugar intake
- Reducing alcohol
- How to increase fibre in the diet
- Included: Sample programmes for your client
- Included: Outlines for 12-session weight loss class and handouts
6. Diets - the good and the bad
- Do any diets work? What should you say to your clients about dieting?
- Why so many diets fail
- Fasting or the 5:2 diet
- The Palaeo diet
- Food combining or the Hay diet
- The Mediterranean diet
- The Volumetrics Diet
7. Exercise and weight loss
- Exercise is good for your health. But will it help your clients lose weight? We examine the topic of exercise in this module, and clarify what you should say to your clients.
- The benefits of exercise.
- Exercise burns fat and speeds metabolism.
- Aerobic exercise: increasing the heart rate.
- Getting active.
- Ways to take exercise
- Swimming for weight loss.
- Pool exercises.
- Exercise in the gym
- Included: weight loss videos
8. Supplements - do you need them?
- Do supplements have a role to play in weight loss? Can clients get all their nutrients from natural foods?. We make some recommendations.
- Appetite Suppressants
- Prescription Suppressants
- Carb Blockers
- Fat Blockers
- Miracle Supplements
- Included: Supplement videos
9. Cooking methods for weight loss
- Identifying what clients eat and how they cook is central to helping them lose weight. We provide a plan to help your clients.
- Cooking and preparation of food
- Meat and poultry
- Rice and pasta
- Vegetables and pulses
- Included: simple starter recipes for weight loss
10. Surgical weight-loss options
- Surgery is a dramatic and invasive solution. But sometimes it's the right solution. We examine your clients' options.
- The digestive organs in weight-loss surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- Restrictive surgery
- Gastric band
- Gastric sleeve
- Malabsorbative surgery
- Gastric bypass
- Duodenal switch and biliopancreatic diversion
- Client selection
- Post-surgery recommendations
- Included: videos that explain weight loss surgery
11. The weight reduction plan
- We show you how to create a plan that will reduce your client's weight, permanently.
- Get to know your client - assessing the scale of the clients overweight
- Contra-indications and risks such as illness and obesity
- Setting weight loss goals
- Creating a food diary
- Crafting a progress report
- Monitoring the client's progress
- Included: Useful forms
12. Counselling clients how to lose weight
- Bad eating is often due to habit, anxiety or beliefs. Here we show you how to change the client's mindset.
- Changing the client’s lifestyle and mindset
- Counselling techniques for weight reduction
- Getting the client to take responsibility
- Creative visualisation
- Virtual gastric band
- Maslow’s hierarchy of Needs
- ERG Theory
- Included: Two virtual gastric band videos.
13. How to market your services
- Many would-be practitioners don’t market their services adequately. We provide a comprehensive plan on how to do it.
- Sources of work
- Local promotion.
- The internet. Your website.
- Print advertising
- Writing an ad
- A leaflet
- Getting referrals from an organisation
- Client referrals
- How to find companies and professional organisations
- Local companies
- Response rates
- Included: Videos on how to market yourself
14. How to convert enquiries to paying clients
- There's an art to getting someone to become a paying client. We reveal powerful secrets to achieving this.
- Responding to a prospect’s enquiry
- The initial session
- Ending the initial session
- The client who wants to start straightaway
- Helping the client reach a conclusion
- Gaining trust
- Establishing rapport
- Included: useful forms for the new client
15. Finance and Legal issues
- In this module we show you how much to charge, and how to manage your money as a self employed practitioner.
- How much should you charge?
- Terminating the sessions
- Keeping clients and the bank manager happy
- Client files
- Sole trader, limited business or partnership?
- Your business name
- How to keep financial records in four easy steps
- Indemnity insurance
- Included: videos on managing money as a startup
an advisor on